To work in a regulated trade in Alberta, you must be registered with Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT). AIT is responsible for administering laws and regulations governing work in the trades.
The links below will take you to an occupational profile. Each occupational profile contains information about:
- working conditions
- advancement opportunities
- personal characteristics and educational qualifications you need to succeed
List of regulated trades
- Appliance Service Technician
- Auto Body Technician
- Automotive Service Technician
- Crane and Hoisting Equipment Operator (CHEO)
- Elevator Constructor
- Heavy Equipment Technician (HET)
- Motorcycle Mechanic
- Recreation Vehicle Service Technician
- Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Rig Technician
- Sheet Metal Worker
( back to top )
Optional certification trades in Alberta, Canada
For some trades in Alberta, you do not have to be certified. You can work in an optional certification trade if your employer decides you have the skills and knowledge expected of a certified tradesperson.
A non-certified individual in an optional certification trade can also supervise and train apprentices on the job.
Anyone learning an optional certification trade, however, must become a registered apprentice.
List of optional certification trades
- Agricultural Equipment Technician
- Communication Technician
- Concrete Finisher
- Electric Motor Systems Technician
- Floorcovering Installer
- Instrument Technician
- Landscape Gardener
- Lather-Interior Systems Mechanic
- Outdoor Power Equipment Technician (OPET)
- Painter and Decorator
- Parts Technician
- Powerline Technician
- Power System Electrician
- Sprinkler System Installer
- Structural Steel and Plate Fitter
- Transport Refrigeration Technician
- Water Well Driller
( back to top )
Jobs in Alberta
Search current job opportunities in Alberta and create a personalized report with career-specific information.
Subscribe for information and resources relevant to you, delivered to your inbox.
Date Updated: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 02:56:05