Trades are skilled jobs that typically require manual skills and special training. Some trades are regulated. This means that they are governed by set standards that promote quality work and skill excellence among people working in that particular trade.
To work in a regulated trade in Alberta, you must be registered with Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT). AIT is responsible for administering laws and regulations governing work in the trades.
List of regulated trades
Regulated trades have an apprenticeship program and are listed below. These links will take you to an occupational profile, which contains information about:
- working conditions
- advancement opportunities
- personal characteristics and educational qualifications you need to succeed
- Appliance Service Technician
- Auto Body Technician
- Automotive Service Technician
- Crane and Hoisting Equipment Operator (CHEO)
- Elevator Constructor
- Heavy Equipment Technician (HET)
- Motorcycle Mechanic
- Recreation Vehicle Service Technician
- Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Rig Technician
- Sheet Metal Worker
( back to top )
Optional certification trades
When a trade is designated, it has either a compulsory or optional certification. A worker in a compulsory certification trade is a registered apprentice or a certified journeyperson.
A worker in an optional certification trade can work for an employer who is satisfied that person has the skills and knowledge expected of a certified journeyperson. A non-certified worker in an optional certification trade can also supervise and train apprentices on the job.
However, anyone learning an optional certification trade must become a registered apprentice.
List of optional certification trades
- Agricultural Equipment Technician
- Communication Technician
- Concrete Finisher
- Electric Motor Systems Technician
- Floorcovering Installer
- Instrument Technician
- Landscape Gardener
- Lather-Interior Systems Mechanic
- Outdoor Power Equipment Technician (OPET)
- Painter and Decorator
- Parts Technician
- Powerline Technician
- Power System Electrician
- Sprinkler System Installer
- Structural Steel and Plate Fitter
- Transport Refrigeration Technician
- Water Well Driller
( back to top )
Subscribe for information and resources relevant to you, delivered to your inbox.
Date Updated: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 04:10:52